Masters of Social Work
The mission of the programme
The mission of the programme is to promote the profession of social work. Bhagwan Mahavir College of Liberal Arts & Humanities educating the learners to become agents of social change; to orient learners for a profession which is committed to social justice and empowerment of individuals, groups and communities; to build up respect for individual and cultural diversities and encourage research in various developmental issues of the region.
This course will contribute towards enhancing social work skills using theoretical and practical frameworks. The field-work component and dissertation are significant areas that will be laid extra emphasis on.
Objectives of the programme
- To provide transformative and collaborative learning that embraces the values of social inclusion and promotes enhanced quality of life for individuals and communities
- To enhance effective functioning and well-being of individuals, families and communities through its work and advocacy
- To advocate with individuals and communities for human dignity and social inclusion by mobilizing efforts to end inequities, exploitation and violence
- To promote the development of social work standards and practice and to advocate for social policies that advance social justice & diversity
- To create effective, ethical and competent social workers by providing quality and diverse learning opportunities for the betterment of society
- To contribute to building a new social order based on human dignity and social justice
- To build a cadre of young, competent professionals having a global perspective and a strong value base of compassion, personal integrity, moderation, tolerance and self-respect
- To enable education, research and intervention in social work towards transforming the human potential into socially sensitive change agents for sustainable development
- To propagate values of social work and consciously apply them in practice
- To provide opportunities for students to learn more about the values and knowledge base of the social work profession and its commitment to alleviate contemporary social problems
Duration of the programme:
Minimum Duration : 4 semesters (2 years).
In case, a learner is not able to qualify a course in its first attempt, he/she has to qualify in the particular course within the next four attempts, subject to maximum duration of the study.
- Learn with a theoretical and professional practice-focused curriculum in social work.
- Gain an understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity and its importance.
- Work in direct and indirect practice and develop their leadership capacities.
- Train as a social work professional who is skilled to work at all levels of practice across many population groups.
Any Under-Graduate or equivalent examination passed (in any stream) from a Council/
University recognized by UGC.
Career opportunities in Social work
- Family counsellors in Hospitals
- Counsellors and Field Executives in International and National Voluntary Agencies
- NGO Management
- Executives in Human Resource Department Sectors
- School Social Workers
- Medical/Psychiatric Social Workers in private and public hospitals
- Executives in Labour Enforcement wings of the Central and State governments
- HR Consultancies
- Executives in Corporate Companies
- Hospice and palliative care social workers
- Community Health Workers
- Correctional Probation Officers
- Guidance Counselors
- Hospital administrators
- Protection Officers (Social Welfare Department)